Following its success, in its domestic and international network and just as Cyprus liberalized their air transport policy, AEGEAN AIRLINES expands its network and announces today, their flights from Athens to Larnaka with 3 daily frequencies as of Friday, May 28th 2004.
At the same time, a code-sharing agreement has been announced with the Cyprus private airline HELIOS AIRWAYS. This cooperation strengthens the presence of AEGEAN AIRLINES in the Cyprus market, offering multiple flight-choices to the traveling public since HELIOS AIRWAYS will operate twice daily to/from Larnaka as of May 1st 2004. The joint flight schedule of both companies will, thus, offer to the Greek and Cypriot public 5 flights daily. It is, simultaneously announced that the cities of Thessaloniki and Larnaka are connected with 4 flights a week. The flights to/from Thessaloniki will be inaugurated by Helios Airways aircraft, while the flights of AEGEAN will start this fall.
Flights announcement-boards of airports will indicate both flight-codes while all airport announcements will refer to the joint code and the name of the code-sharing company. Along with the above cooperation, passengers from Cyprus will be able to fly to all 14 Greek domestic destinations as well as to Italy and Germany on AEGEAN flights on one single ticket.
HELIOS AIRWAYS (ZU) started flight operations 15 months ago, with regular flights to London Luton airport and utilizes a fleet of 3 Boeing 737/300-800.
The chairman of AEGEAN AIRLINES Mr. Th. Vassilakis made the following statement:
“After 3 years of efforts, to extent our scheduled flights to Cyprus, I am very happy that now, when Cyprus joined the European Union and liberalized its air transport policy, we come closer to our Cypriot brothers. It is a significant occasion for Aegean Airlines, that the inauguration flights to Larnaka coincide with the fifth anniversary of our presence in the Greek market. I am certain that our entering in the Cyprus market, will boost business cooperation and will assist extensively tourism in Cyprus as well as in Greece. I hope that the Cyprus traveling public, will enjoy the high quality services offered by Aegean Airlines, a fact that has made it the first choice among passengers in Greece.”
The joint program of Aegean Airlines and Helios Airways is as follows:
ATHENS TO LARNAKA
06:30 - 08:15
10:35 - 11:10 (από ZU)
13:00 - 14:45
18:35 - 20:20
21:30 - 23:05 (από ZU)
LARNAKA TO ATHENS
08:00 - 09:45 (από ZU)
09:00 - 10:45
15:25 - 17:10
19:00 - 20:40 (από ZU)
21:00 - 22:45
THESSALONIKI TO LARNAKA
Mondays, Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays
16:00 - 17:50 (από ZU)
LARNAKA TO THESSALONIKI
Mondays, Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays
13:00 - 15:00 (από ZU)
All times local.
AEGEAN has established a very simple, flexible and with less restrictions, air fare system which offers to passengers serious discounts in cases of advanced purchases of their tickets. Parallelly, both AEGEAN and HELIOS will offer reduced fares to passengers in an introductory gesture.
Passengers will have the choice between business and economy class. Seats can be booked through all travel agents, as well as through central reservations for Greece at 801 11 20000 or 210 9988300 from mobile phones as well as through www.aegeanair.com
It is reminded that, AEGEAN is studying the possibility of adding to its network more domestic airports as Samos and Limnos till the end of 2004. Efforts are continued, in the same time (which started 3 years ago), so that the State may approve Aegean’s’ application to operate primarily to Balkan destinations as Istanbul, Sofia and Belgrade as well as Cairo, all of which are today operated by the State owned airline.
As far as dependability is concerned, AEGEAN remains permanently the first among 60 other airlines operating at El. Venizelos airport, in on-time departures. It is worth mentioning that in order to minimize delays, AEGEAN has a permanently stand-by aircraft for all cases of operating needs.
AEGEAN AIRLINES in the 5 years of its operations (flights begun on 28/5/1999):
- Has carried more than 13.000.000 passengers with more than 150.000 flights.
- Covers 14 Greek domestic destinations (Athens, Thessaloniki, Heraklion, Chania, Rhodes, Alexandroupolis, Kavala, Corfu, Mitilini, Ioannina, Santorini, Mykonos, Chios, Kos), 8 international destinations (Rome, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, Munich, Stuttgart, Cologne, Milan, Larnaka).
- Has entered commercial agreements on code-sharing flights with the Italian companies AIR ONE and ALPI EAGLES, extending, thus, its network to the Italian market (Palermo, Genoa, Venice, Torino).
- Is the only Greek airline that has been awarded by ERA (European Region Airlines Association).
- Is the only Greek airline that offers the capability to internet users, to purchase their ticket (e-ticket) through www.aegeanair.com.
- Offers a frequent flyer program (MILES & BONUS).
- Operating on the basic philosophy that passengers must by absolutely satisfied, has applied procedures that clearly show its respect to its passenger-clients. It is the only airline who, in case of a delay of a flight in excess of 1 hour, because of a company’s fault, AEGEAN offer to passengers of that specific flight a free ticket each.
- Employs more than 1400 people with top training and the basic target of offering total high quality services both in the air as well as on the ground. The emphasis given by AEGEAN AIRLINES in this field, is re-ascertained by repeated staff seminars taken by all staff, on subjects like corporate identity, sales techniques, passengers’ services etc.
- Cockpit crew employment is carried out on the strictest criteria, while their training is done in the best European training centers and is followed up with 6-monthly proficiency checks by examiners overseeing their capabilities and performance levels. All flying staff is trained in accordance with the provisions of the Greek CAA and JAR-OPS. The adaptation of the company’s flight-standards to the European JAR-OPS was accomplished after the training, for many months, of all Aegean staff, by the Lufthansa Consulting.
- Having flight safety as a basic priority, has invested in ultra modern aircraft, control systems, technical support and continued staff training. The meticulous fleet maintenance is monitored and done daily in its airport facilities by the engineering division, the staff of which consists of aircraft mechanics, aeronautical engineers and mechanical engineers, all extensively trained and experienced. All aircraft have been equipped with state-of-the-art safety systems as ACAS II (Anti-Collision System) EGPWS (Enhanced Ground Proximity Warning System) and DFGS (Digital Navigation System).
- In the year 2003 AEGEAN AIRLINES made a profit of 6,1 million Euros with a turn- over of 223 million Euros.